Are you in leadership? Maybe you are a pastor or ministry director. You may be a teacher or a member of a leadership team. It doesn’t matter what level of leadership you are at, I have a feeling you could benefit from this list of leadership questions.
This is a great set of questions to ask your leadership team to help you evaluate where you are.
It is always a good idea to lead with questions to get feedback and encourage ownership. These questions are a great start. Remember, you don’t often get answers to the questions you don’t ask!
Some of these questions come from a break out session I attended at the GROW conference in Birmingham, Alabama. Some of the questions I often ask myself or my team. By no means is it a complete list. I would welcome your thoughts on additional questions that would help evaluate a current ministry, or one that could lead to improvement.
Leadership Questions to Evaluate
- What is working well?
- What could be improved?
- Can you name an area you are happy with within the ministry?
- Are we successful in what we are doing?
Leadership Questions about Success
That all depends, and leads to the next question.
- How do we define success?
Success means so many different things to different people. Work together to define a ‘measurable win.’ Not only will you have a goal, but you will also know when you achieve it.
- What are we passionate about?
The answers here should help you define your wins.
Is it time to stop?
- Is there anything we are doing that we should stop doing?
- What do we do that doesnt contribute to the previously defined ‘win’?
- Could we do less things better?
- Is something missing? What are we not doing that we should?
- What could we do to move closer to our win?
- Is it working? (the ‘it’ can be anything you are doing)
If it is not working, is it ever going to work? Would it be better to give up trying and put efforts into something else? Sometimes there is wisdom in letting some things die off so you can invest your time and resources into things that are working well, or that line up better with your vision.
Like I said, this is not a complete list. Do you ever ask yourself or your team these questions? What other questions do you ask that are not on my list?