6 Ways to Create a Winning Environment
I recently found my notebook from the GROW Conference a few years ago in Birmingham Alabama. It was a great conference and I would suggest that you attend sometime if you are able. While the overall message was geared toward the pastor of a smaller church or church plant, the principals can apply to a church of any size, as well as individual ministries.
In my case I try to figure a way to apply what I learned within kids ministry.
The following were some notes that I made during a session on creating a winning environment.
1. Create a positive culture
- it is better to do many things wrong in the right culture rather than the right thing in the wrong culture
- Growing churches (and kids ministries) empower leadership
- Believe in people
- it is ok for people to challenge the process, but not the vision
- create an atmosphere of encouragement
2. Create a gifts oriented ministry
- do away with the volunteer mentality
- have a process to help people discover their gifts
- equipping people is the main function of a staff (or leadership)
- concentrate on building teams, not building ministry
3. Create an atmosphere of passionate spirituality
- lead by example
- you can’t delegate passion
- leaders lead in front
- Ask yourself if it would be ok for your entire church (or ministry) to do what you do and act how you act. Remember–people are watching you
- celebrate changed lives
4. Create functional systems and structures
- have clear vision and values, and be able to express and share them
- be able to define success
- have a solid form of government an functional practices
- create systems that help deliver the vision
5. Create an inspiring worship experience
- a survey claims that people say fun is the number one quality of an inspiring worship service
- it is ok to laugh
- create comfort by focusing on excellence
- excellence creates comfort—-comfort brings people back
6. Create loving relationships
- make yourself and your team available to people
- follow the 30/30 rule—be available 30 minutes before and after each service
- return communication within 24hrs
- tell stories
How about you? How do you create a winning environment?
By having the right people, the right systems and the right culture.
What does a winning environment look like to you? What do you think of the list? Anything you would add?